Forward Leeds is an integrated Drug and Alcohol service made up of several key partners including Humankind, a rapidly growing and highly successful charity. We provide a safe environment in which people can develop the life skills, and confidence to achieve and maintain recovery and abstinence from their substance misuse, successfully re-integrate into society, and become active, contributing citizens.
We are currently looking to appoint an Assistant Director who will be supporting the Regional Director to provide leadership and management to the services and teams within the relevant region, helping to secure, establish and develop the best services within existing and new partnerships. Services within the scope of this role include substance misuse services, housing services and mental health services.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development of company strategy through involvement in strategic business planning and communicating and implementing this at service level.
- Ensure the effective running of the services in your region/ area and lead them to support growth in this area.
- Support the Regional Director to develop and implement action plans for achieving and maintaining performance targets and KPIs and appropriate quality standards.
- To lead on relationship management and maximising Humankind’s opportunities to develop services in the region and agreed areas.
- Contribute to the development of corporate policy by leading and joining working parties, delivering staff training and communicating and implementing at regional/ project level.
- Be aware of upcoming tender opportunities and work closely with Humankind’s Business Development team to develop bids and lead an operational bid team where required.
- Successfully implement new services and where required organisational change initiatives.
- Initiate innovative forms of service delivery and identifying development opportunities to maintain and develop service provision.
- Provide Leadership and direction to the team(s) in your area and communicate key decisions from the SMT and EMT. Deputise for the Regional Director when required.
- Contribute to the development of and management of Humankind through membership of the Leadership Forum, Senior Management Team (as requested for specific projects) and other management teams and working groups.
- Manage, mentor, coach and ensure the development of staff reporting to you, including volunteers. This includes involvement in delivering appropriate training, recruitment, induction, monitoring performance, managing absence and conducting appraisals/supervisions.
- Work with Area and Service Managers to ensure that all staff operating within services receive effective management, supervision, support, appraisal and access to appropriate training and personal development opportunities.
- Support the Regional Director to develop, in conjunction with assigned Services, a clear plan for business development and mobilisations as agreed with the SMT.
- Contribute to the development of new service delivery models, shape bids and identify key winning propositions and unique selling points for the organisation.
- Map and understand business development markets, building and managing a pipeline of opportunities for the services you are responsible for.
- Contribute to the development and management of joined up and integrated services through management of those services and/or the provision of staff and professional and technical inputs.
- Liaise with Corporate Support Services and project manage all agreed mobilisations and service developments.
- Represent Humankind in a professional manner at all times and network, build and maintain effective professional relationships with internal and external professionals and stakeholders including service users, staff teams, commissioners and other service providers.
- Assist in identifying risks and problems, working with the Regional Director to resolve and mitigate them.
- Ensure the services work within the set budget and work collaboratively to secure additional funding streams to enhance the work of the services.
- Provide reports and briefings as required, including reports to the Senior Management Team, Commissioners and operational and strategic meetings.
- Ensure Peoplekind is kept up to date with records including: annual leave, sick leave, TOIL, disciplinary records, supervision notes, and appraisal.
- Undertake continuing professional development including participating in clinical supervision, performance appraisals and attending training as/when required.
- Work in accordance with all relevant legislation, policies & procedures and guidelines – both internal and external. This includes Humankind’s clinical governance framework.
- Keep abreast of policy and professional development within your area of professional expertise.
- Promote, adhere to and live our workplace values of being honest, committed and inventive.
This job description is intended to provide a guide to the general duties and responsibilities of the post. It should not be regarded as a contractual document. It will be reviewed regularly and may be varied at the discretion of Humankind.
Person Specification - Essential criteria:
- Educated to degree or pre-degree level or hold a relevant qualification at NVQ level 5 (or equivalent) OR have significant relevant experience of the sector equivalent to a degree.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook Office programmes.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills including report writing.
- Analytical skills with the ability to utilise and analyse data from MIS.
- Knowledge and experience of working at a senior level in substance misuse services.
- Significant previous experience of mobilising new services
- Experience of operational management, with knowledge and understanding of strategic management.
- Experience of presenting and winning tenders
- Commercial understanding of
- tendering and commissioning processes
- markets, pipeline building
- developing markets and client relationships
- identifying, assessing and developing new business opportunities
- Experience of budget management with experience of at least one of the following areas: payment by results or defrayed expenditure.
- Experience of managing staff performance, including management of formal disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Understanding and experience of audit frameworks e.g. Ofsted, CQC.
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address you provide on your application form. We will contact shortlisted candidates by email to confirm the arrangements for interview. Please check your email inbox after the closing date for notification as you will not be notified by any other means. Please remember to check your junk folder.
Due to the current restrictions as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, interviews will be via Microsoft Teams or Zoom.