Census Life is a not-for-profit social enterprise, part of Queen’s Award winner Census Group.
Census Life has a very simple vision - that every person should have the opportunity to create a better future for themselves. Our entire ethos is to support those with previous criminal convictions back into society through meaningful employment and to educate and influence other businesses, decision-makers and policy-makers.
Census Life creates and operates contact centres in 13 prisons across England and Wales. We provide opportunities designed to deliver sustainable, social and economic integration. Through the effective delivery of our in-custody work programme, our colleagues develop relevant skills and experience that will be highly valued by any employer.
Census Life Core Values
Our unique set of core values are ingrained principles at the very heart of our organisational culture. These values are specific and meaningful, they guide the way all our staff operate in the prisons and the community.
- Ethical - Do everything you do because it’s the right thing to do
- Reflective - Hear, listen and learn from those with experience
- Bold - Being courageous, to always challenge the norm
- Practical - Be a doer, not a sayer
- Understanding - Refuse to attribute labels to any individual
- Determined - Strive for greatness for yourself and others
The Team Manager is responsible for the recruitment, training and supervision of all contact centre operatives, to ensure they can work effectively as a team to deliver the required outputs for our clients.
The centre operates a full working week teaching team members to be independent, manage their own time and improve their communication skills, confidence, IT skills and product knowledge. The Team Manager ensures the team are learning how to be patient, self-motivated, determined and how to handle objections and rejection. It provides a positive environment where the team are doing meaningful work that equips them with skills they can use effectively on release.
The support the Team Manager offers every colleague is hugely important to their personal development, it enables them to become confident in their roles, and importantly, prepare each person to enter the world of work on release.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Embrace Census Life Core Values in your everyday role.
- Ensure a smooth running, effective and efficient team through support, supervision and leadership.
- Motivate a team, creating a working environment which promotes ownership and accountability, embraces continuous learning and engages and enables the team to thrive.
- Build effective relationships with key prison staff to ensure the Contact Centre is full to capacity and an area they see as a priority.
- Manage sickness and absence levels to minimise impact at operational levels.
- Maintain good relationships with the Census Life operational management team for forecasting and planning workloads.
- Manage systems, processes and address any issues that arise in line with Census Life and Prison Service policies and guidelines.
- Take an active role in the Contact Centre to contribute to the effectiveness and wellbeing of all team members.
- Conduct monthly 1-2-1 performance/quality reviews all with team members.
- Recognise and develop talent by completing and implementing a personal development plan for each team member.
- Build strong relationships between the contact centre management team and operational team through effective and honest feedback and discussions.
- Continually monitor call quality and improve service, minimise errors and track operational performance.
- Drive performance throughout the team ensuring recognition of high performance and offering support for under performance.
- Identify team training needs and agree appropriate next steps.