Clinks Prison Work
VOLUNTARY SECTOR COORDINATION PILOT PROJECT
Clinks managed this project from September 2016-October 2017. We worked in partnership with EDP Drug & Alcohol Services and Volunteer Centre Dorset and HMP Dartmoor, HMP Exeter and HMP Guys Marsh, to support good engagement between the prisons and the voluntary sector
The project supported better co-ordination of voluntary sector provision; enhanced prisoner knowledge of and access to voluntary sector support; and developed the strategic role of the voluntary sector in the prisons.
As a result, there are now tailored, sustainable models of co-ordination in each of the three prisons, which have been co-designed with key stakeholders including prisoners. A review of best practice has been conducted and can be found here. A resulting policy and recommendations document will be published in November 2017.
Project contact details:
- Hazel Alcraft, Clinks, 0207 383 0966 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amanda Sherriff, VS Co-ordinator, HMP Dartmoor & HMP Exeter Amanda.Sherriff@hmps.gsi.gov.uk
- Marie Waterman, VS Co-ordinator, HMP Guys Marsh Marie.Waterman@hmps.gsi.gov.uk
Valuing volunteering in prison
A project that explored the current state of volunteering in prison, captured the views of service users and collated good volunteering practices. The focus was on how we can increase the amount and scope of prison volunteering across England and Wales. Read more about the project and link to resources here.
Lord Farmer, working in partnership with Clinks, was commissioned to chair an independent review to investigate how supporting men in prison in England and Wales to engage with their families can reduce reoffending and assist in addressing intergenerational crime. Read more about our work with Lord Farmer here.
Read our latest blogs on prison related issues:
- Using technology to strengthen prisoner-family ties
- How people in custody are shaping HMP Dartmoor’s engagement with the voluntary sector
- Inspecting prisons – what are the expectations?
- How can we improve mental health in prisons?
- Supporting rehabilitation as a key purpose of prison
- What to prisoners and ex-offenders need to learn?
- Autism accreditation in prisons
- How can we improve support for children affected by the imprisonment of a parent?
- 5 Ways prisons can benefit from having a voluntary sector co-ordinator
- Prison reform: help shape the New Futures Network